A Bit of Background
About five years ago the Firefox product site spilt off of mozilla.org, becoming mozilla.com (read more here), Thunderbird split off into mozillamessaging.com, and Firefox’s European product pages were served from mozilla-europe.org.
(Historical note: international in-product pages for all locales were also served by Mozilla Europe under the mozilla-world.org domain name since 2004 as a service to the Mozilla project which was not ready to host international pages. Those pages were first moved to mozilla.com by Pascal Chevrel in 2006, European Thunderbird product pages were also moved from mozilla-europe.org to mozillamessaging.com in 2009).
Did you follow all of that!?!
The core hack is simple, the site is mostly static, but this move is still awfully complicated and the whole thing has a lot of dependencies, spaghetti-like ones that take a lot of time to untangle. Let’s look at the strategy, the technology, and how we’re tackling the challenge.
Moving to a Single Domain
- bring clarity to the user experience
- take advantage of technical and design-related optimizations
- collectively convey Mozilla’s mission as a non-profit
One Mozilla, What it is today
- the migration of Firefox European translations from http://mozilla-europe.org to http://mozilla.org/firefox (bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=669915)
One Mozilla, What we’re planning on for the future
- the development of a single platform/codebase, “Bedrock” (follow along here)
- the research and design refresh that unites the four sites with a common theme, and universal header/footer (follow along here https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=630964)
Mozilla Europe, A New Community-focused Site
- Pascal Chevral is leading up this effort with help from Mary Colvig & David Boswell, you can follow progress along here https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=664393
Follow Along via Bugs & our Wiki
- [One Mozilla Tracking Bug] – Mozilla.com / Mozilla.org unification
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.com/2011-Rebranding-Project (project almost complete)
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/One-Mozilla-Project (where we’re heading next)
Still have questions? We’ll be talking, tweeting & posting
Lightning Talk at Monday’s All Mozilla Meeting
- CB & John
QA Session, Tuesday, August 16 2-2:30PM PT x212
- Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# followed by 212#
- Slater, CB, James
For regular updates join us (we’re open!):
- Monthly website taskforce meeting, https://wiki.mozilla.org/Websites/Taskforce#Meeting_Details
- Bi-monthly Community Engagement Call, August 17, 2011, Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#, air.mozilla.org/marketing or in 10Forward.
James, Technical Lead (will be posting on how a little apache & some magic helped moved our site to .org next week!)
Chrissie, mozilla.org/firefox Product Lead